Tuesday, August 11, 2009

You Can't Beat God Giving

I remember the chorus we sang in the black church on Plymouth Avenue in St Louis Park, Minnesota. "You can't beat God giving, no matter how you try." 

I know, I know, some people have said to me, you can't buy your way into heaven. Well, that statement kind of puzzles me because every body already knows that, and this chorus has nothing to do with that. The bottom line is that, you cannot out-give God. Try it and see. And I guess that is the heart of the problem, most don't have enough faith in God to try it and see for themselves.

Well, the scriptures do say, "give and it shall be given unto you, pressed down, shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom." The scriptures also say, "Bring ye all the tithes into the store house and prove me here with and see if I will not open the windows of heaven and pour you out a blessing that there shall not be room enough to receive it." 

Well, this is not about giving to get. This is about giving to meet the need and being obedient to God. It is about being people of faith, not giving away all that we have..... unless God leads you to do so. If you want to be blessed, be a channel of blessing. God will honor you for it.

Case in point. This week, for the first time in over a year there was barely any work to do for my business and there was very little lined up for the future. I gave my tithe to the church (10%) and another 5% to missions. God also laid a needy family on my heart and I gave to them. I also volunteered to take a trip to Arizona to do research for a missions project. I made all of these commitments with nothing else lined up for my work. 

So, all in the same day I got a call to do a bid and got the job. A client I already did work for called and wants more work done. A business that I networked with called and has door inserts for me to install. A guy in Niwot wants a bid from me for a bathroom re-model. And the church emailed me and said that they would pay the expenses for the research trip. 

I'm telling you folks, it works. Be generous with God and he will be more than generous with you. Lose your faith and shut God out, you will experience a dearth in your own life. Not only a financial dearth, but a spiritual one. There is no greater blessing than knowing you have done what God has asked you to do, knowing you have blessed others, and feeling God's blessing on your own life.

Some will say, "Bah humbug!" Well, don't Scrooge with God, and He won't Scrooge with you.

No comments: