Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Busy, Busy:

I am amazed at how busy my business is keeping me. By the way, the name of my business is "ROD'S HOME REPAIRS."  I have a subsidiary (kind of) called 'ROD'S ROOF REPAIRS."  The name isn't fancy but it tells people what I want them to know. I do home repairs. I also build decks and install or repair fences. I get calls every day for repairs. I'm also getting a lot of return business.

I thought this would be an 8 hour per day job with Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off. Instead, it has become a 6 day per week job. I hit the road at 5:30 AM and often work right up through 6:30 - 7:00 PM. I keep a sub-contractor busy full time and am training another one for certain jobs. I also do a lot of the smaller jobs myself. My volume is running over 100% ahead of last year. I hope it keeps it up.

My wife thinks I do a lousy job balancing my checkbook. She's right. I don't have much patience for that kind of thing. Perhaps I could hire her an hour per month to do that. I suppose it would be easier for her if I remembered to record all of the checks. I'll have to do better.

I'm selling the Sequoia. I love it, but we have no room for three vehicles. In our neighborhood we need to keep all of them garaged at night. The proceeds will pay down my loan on my pickup truck. Once that is paid off I will need to invest in retirement again. Retirement is creeping up fast. Although I may continue working my business on a limited scale. That's later. This is now.

See you next time.


No comments: