Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Samuel



Samuel is one of twelve kids in the Street family. I met him at our work and witness trip to the Navajo at Navajo Station, Arizona. He's a black boy who looks to be 9 or 10 years old. I first noticed him when he sidled up to me as we were gathered for a group meeting. I put my hand on his shoulder and he looked up at me. We were friends from that moment.

Sam liked my pickup truck, a 2009 F-150. He asked if that was really my truck, then later asked me if it was a rental. He must have thought it was too nice to own. Then he said, "I'm going to have one like that when I grow up." 

Sam also helped with the ditch digging. He chipped away at the hard clay then scooped it out. When it came time to backfill the ditch, he helped with that, too. 

Sam also noticed that I wore the same shirt two days in a row. He sat with me in the church services, and next to me when we ate. I like Sam.

One of the most remarkable things about Sam is is memory. I gave the sermon on Friday night. I gave illustrations of five different families I ministered to in Drayton, ND. The last illustration was about a guy named Gary, whom I witnessed to about Christ. Gary rejected Christ and two days later was killed in a car accident. Sam asked me if this was a true story. I said it was. Then I asked Samuel if he heard the rest of the sermon. He recited back to me all five illustrations in order and in detail. I was astounded!

Samuel has a special place in my heart.

No comments: