Sunday, January 18, 2009

Broadus II, Rain in Our Bedroom

I told you in "Broadus I" about our house. We had this huge master bedroom that was actually an addition to the house. There was a big picture window that gave us a wonderful view to the junky back yard that was all grown up in weeds. Of course, we had no lawn mower. So the weeds stayed. 

Although, in the summer, temperatures reached into the 100's, in the winter it did freeze. When building the addition on to the house, our bedroom, they forgot to install any type of heat. And, the wall heater down the hall did not work. So, we woke up many mornings with our bedroom freezing. It was kind of like camping out in the winter. Then during the day as the sun shined in through the window the temperature would rise above freezing. We spent most of our time in the kitchen next to the wall heater that was working. 

One morning, I woke up to ice cold water splashing on my face. It was quite a shock. Then Audrey woke up experiencing the same thing. As we looked around we could see rain coming down inside our bedroom. The roof was there, the sun was shining, but it was raining.

During the night it got so cold that frost had formed on the nail heads that fastened the sheetrock to the rafters. When it warmed in the morning, the frost melted, and it rained. I guess they forgot the insulation, also.

I approached our landlord about getting the heater fixed. He loaned us a little plug in heater for the bedroom.

I'll have to tell my grandkids that these were the "good old days."

No comments: