Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Great Day

A casual early morning cup of coffee with some toast and peanut butter. I hopped into the car and headed north on I25, then west on highway 66. Then I went northwest on highway 36. I found myself in Estes Park. A cool place to be. 

The weather was perfect and Mc Donald's was popping with business. I ordered a coffee and a cookie. It was a beautiful day and I was in a beautiful place. But I still had not reached my destination. I hopped in the car once again and drove down the Big Thompson Canyon Road. And suddenly I spotted it. The perfect place to put in my line.

I pulled over, put on my waders, assembled my fly rod, and walked down the bank. A log across the river made a mini dam. Here the water calmed, the sun shone, and the weather was still. Perfect for casting. And cast I did. I caught and released two beautiful rainbows. But more importantly, I caught a couple hours of peace and serenity in some of the most beautiful country in the world. It was great!

The drive down through the Thompson River Canyon was also filled with beauty and serenity. Of course I had to stop at the Colorado Jelly Store in the way down. I picked up a jar of vanilla bean honey for Audrey, a gift that pleased her. 

Yes. today was a day of peace and rest, a change of pace in life. Actually, this is life. 

No comments: