Monday, December 15, 2008

Tori

As I sit here with my morning Starbucks watching the stock market, i am also thinking about my grandchildren, all of whom are very special. But this morning I am thinking especially about Tori, our oldest grand daughter. Her life has had ups and downs, more so than most kids.

School has been a real challenge for her. Not because she isn't smart enough..... she's plenty smart. In some ways, maybe a little too smart. I remember the days when she lived with us, and I took her to school and picked her up. Most days I was called by the school to pick her up early. That led to home school at our house. She could do all the work.... if she wanted to, which she rarely did. 

Then her mom got married and they moved to Michigan. Orville, her new dad, has been very good for her and her brother. But Tori continued to home school, causing no small amount of hardship for her teacher, her mom. This kid can work math in her head, read a book at one sitting, but has a great deal of difficulty getting her school work done. Now, mid-year, this year her mom sent her back to public school. Now her problem is hers and the public school's. Mostly hers though, because it is ultimately up to her.

What puzzles me is that this kid dazzles her class in math, is a fast reader, but cannot write a report. Therefore, A's in math, and F's in writing assignments. Her handwriting is atrocious, or at least used to be. I'm still trying to figure out whether this is a normal disability, or whether she is faking it. I do know that most of the time we don't do well the things that we don't like to do. Writing is one thing she doesn't like to do.

I do thank the Good Lord for the progress she has made, though. I know that she has an exceptional mind, she is quick witted, and has a great sense of humor. I just don't know what makes her tick the way she does. She's driving me crazy. I want the best for her. I know she can do it. I just don't know why she doesn't.

You are welcome to comment and give me some insight. And Tori, if you read this, you comment too, and tell me what's going on. Knowing that you are doing well makes grandpa's coffee taste a lot better, and it goes down smoother, too.

No comments: